Any person able to document their descent from one or more of the following people may apply to the Society of Mayflower Descendants:
Men on the Mayflower from whom descent is known:
Women on the Mayflower from whom descent is known:
|Mrs. Mary (Norris) Allerton
Mrs. Elinor Billington
Mrs. Mary Brewster
Mrs. James Chilton
Mrs. Sarah Eaton
Mrs. Edward Fuller
Children on the Mayflower from whom descent is known:
(had children, but no one has yet to prove descent)
Some historians believe as many as 30 million people living today are descended from passengers who sailed on the Mayflower. Sometimes this is easy to prove with documentation but usually it is a challenging project. The good news is advanced research techniques, improved genealogy library collections and computerized resources have made it easier to track down your Pilgrim roots. Over the years, the Mayflower Society has collected records to prove descendants of most of the Pilgrims through the first five generations. These findings have been published in a series of books titled Mayflower Families, which are available from the bookstore on the General Mayflower Society website.
Application is made through your state, not the general society organization. This is what you need to do:
Application Steps. Please read carefully.
(Follow the same steps if you are already a member of the California Mayflower Society and want to apply for a supplemental line.)
- Step One: Download and print out the Preliminary Review Form and follow the instructions on the form.
- Send us YOUR FAMILY LINE ONLY by filling in the blanks on the Preliminary Review Form. DO NOT SEND SUPPORTIVE DOCUMENTATION OR PROOF AT THIS TIME.
- Be sure to INCLUDE A SELF-ADDRESSED ENVELOPE with this form so we can respond to you.
- Do not send any other information at this time.
- No application fee is required at this time.
- The Preliminary Review Form will be reviewed by the office and you will receive a report on the findings with complete instructions on how to proceed.
- Step Two: If the office finds your line to be a possible line to a passenger of the Mayflower, you will receive a “Preliminary Application for Membership” form to be completed and returned with a check for the appropriate fee.
- After the office receives your fee, the historian will prepare a worksheet and return it to you along with instructions on how to document and complete the worksheet. The historian will have filled in several generations on the worksheet that have already been proven (by a previous applicant or a source available to the historian).
- Submit two photocopies of your documents with your worksheet following the instructions you received from the historian.
- Approved applications to the DAR and other society will NOT be accepted as primary documentation by this society.
- When the historian feels you have fully documented your worksheet, a final application will be sent to you for signature. That signed application will be sent to Plymouth for final review along with one copy of your documentation (one copy will be kept for your file in the California office).
Each State Society is an autonomous organization. If you live in California, you will apply to us for membership in the Mayflower Society. Refer to the State Societies page on the General Society website if you are applying from another state.